Thursday, April 1, 2010

Very exciting Musical week

Yes I know you are curious to know what the outcome of Michael Jackson concert was.
The Michael Jackson concert on 26th march was a musical extravaganza with 500 students taking part in it and so over 2000 thousand plus audiences I could see the enthusiasm and the very overwhelming response of the audience.
Coming back NDCE the second week of Music module was really interesting, I gained so much knowledge about Music.
I never studied Music and was unaware of the basics of music. But while NDCE music module second week,I learned a lot of stuff. It was two weeks of intensive Music crash course.I was surprised after finishing this module the amount of reading and listing I have gone through ,It was a true musical journey and by till know the most interesting module. The highlight of this module was Robert Kapilow's radio interview and Leonard Bernstein you tube videos. Thank you professor Wong for making us aware of the hidden treasures and joys that Jazz offers
But after reading and understanding music I wanted to know, what is that I have achieved is a million dollar question? Can I transform this knowledge and passion the musician use to create those compelling moments for their listeners that is their audience? I observed Music has patterns and every great song or piece of Music has rhythm that follows throughout the pieces and hook which are build up and repeated again and again.
Similarly in teaching we have some basic which follow through out and then we have hooks like tips tricks so that we can pull in our students. We also have to do voice modulation and add humor notes to make our lessons interesting.
I also experimented with my students by making them listen to various music composition like Beethoven and Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff while teaching them a lesson. And while asking them response or the effect the music has on them was mixed. I also played 104.4 Virgin Fm in my class it was surprising to see students singing and doing math.
I learned for the first time musical jargons like a hook, beats, rhythm, notes and also understood how to identify them in a music.

Slate’s NPR interview Of Bob Abramson was really inspiring how much passion he put in teaching a lesson in music, I hope I can transfer my passion for teaching like bob does for his music students. I liked the way he said That playing music is as easy or hard like speaking a language nice connection.
Over all I learned a lot I need some time or gestation period where revisit all this musical knowledge and make those musical bridges from music to teaching using all of valued information CEP 882 musical module as a teaching tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment