Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bridges between Fashion and Teaching........

While travelling from Dubai to Mumbai on my Easter break I was scrolling through the channels on my video in the Aircraft. I found a documentary called “September Issue” being played on one of the channels. The September issue was a short documentary and the plot was of Vogue magazine’s September month issue and people involved in publishing that month’s issue. The documentary also gives you bird’s eye view of the fashion industry and the controversies involved in fashion world. I was doing NDCE Prof. Wong Fashion Module and to my surprise I found that this documentary has come in a right time to give me an exposure about fashion world, after watching this documentary I got idea about high street fashion.
It was bit out of my league to identify with high fashion of Madison Avenue and Rodeo drive or couther fashion week in Paris. So what is the point of me as a high school teacher trying to talk about elite fashion world. I am trying to make connecting bridges from the volatile and glamour’s world of fashion to placid and down-to-earth world of teaching. Is there any connection between teaching and fashion or I am trying to make some connection in a hypotical manner this was a million dollar question?
Some of the offbeat articles like “If Ideas Were Fashion” by David Wong & Danah Henriksen, opened new doors of imagination for me. Many question were raised in this article like “students rarely find the experience of school as engaging as fashion”? I am trying to find answers to these questions raised in the article. I could definitely imagine some bridges from fashion to education before it would take sometime for me make those bridges.
After watching the episode of what not to wear (WNTW) I could draw some analogies between fashion and teaching.
Pam in (WNTW) I found Pam attitude similar to many teachers. Many of the teachers are like Pam, are old fashioned and follow age old technique in teaching. Many students don’t like the way their teachers teach a lesson but due the reluctance of the teacher’s mind to accept the change in their teaching technique leads to down fall and uninteresting classroom lesson. Many times teachers behave like Pam does in episode they are not ready to accept that there can be any problem or flaws in their way of teaching they feel that it perfect or it is alright to continue to the teach a lesson as they were doing in the past. They always self praise themselves as Pam does about her dressing style and in fact some teacher know how to escape out by blaming their students and at time school management for their inability to change or improve their teaching standards.
I am waiting for the next week’s article on NDCE of fashion make some more connecting bridges from fashion to Education….

No comments:

Post a Comment