Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bridges between Architecture and Teaching

Imaginative bridges between architecture/interior designing and teaching? It sounds a bit out of context, but both these fields are very creative and unless the professionals in both these fields don’t put in their passion, they cannot succeed in the challenges involved in their work.
A teacher is also like an interior designer, who needs to consider the different aspects of aesthetic sense in his/her classroom. For example, if the room is well illuminated, provided with the adequate light in the room and proper ventilation, the lightings and the air circulation would definitely add to the learning experience of the students and teaching experience of the teacher.
I teach in Dubai, a city raised on a desert, where summers are extremely hot (I am talking about 50 centigrade) and winters are cold, so controlling the temperature in my classroom becomes a major task. In summers, due to central air-conditioners, the temperature in many of the classrooms is around 20 centigrade, at times students find it cold and want to increase the temperature, whereas some students find the temperature perfect. The famous American architect Sharah Susanka said in her NPR interview that “It is not bricks and mortar that make a home, but how we make that place intimate makes it a home”. Similarly it is not books and white boards which make a classroom. It is the experience, which we educators bring to our students that creates a learning environment.
I like the way Susanka said, “Qualities, not the quantities, of space make a difference.” It is the shaping of space, like tailor-made suits that make it more comfortable. I do design or reorganize my classroom by arranging the student’s desk in such a manner that I can have a proper view of all my students, this also gives a more personal touch to my classroom. Susanka said that “The human mind is wired to walk towards the light” and “Light transforms all the experiences of how you access the room that opens through the well-decorated hall way.” This statement is very true. In a school where I used to work, the hallway had very beautiful paintings and lightings and it would transform my experience and would recharge me and energize me mentally when I used to go from one class to another.
So don’t you agree that there are Imaginative bridges between architecture/interior designing and teaching? Which one do you find more creative?

No comments:

Post a Comment