Monday, April 26, 2010

Reflection NDCE

Oh what a journey and what an experience!!! Being a Science graduate and studied in Indian system my exposure to art was very limed. But after completing this course Nature Design Of Compelling experience, I can say that it's was great exposure to various forms of art involved in the various fields. Like Photography, T.V & films, Architecture and Interior designing, Music and fashion and also last 2 weeks the Work of Art involved my projects.

When I am revisiting this modules to make an entry I can see that four months has been so much creative right from the photography module were we studied different aspect of photography and also posted photograph on Face book group. The Krause reading was really nice it was first time I compared pictures and reasoned which is more compelling and catchy.

What are the bridges from these modules I have learned in CEP 882 and how do I connect this to my everyday classroom teaching ?. From photography to teaching I can definitely say focus and the critical angle that a photographer uses to take a good photograph. I think a teacher can definitely use this focus towards the topic he/ she teaches and that critical angle means he/she can teach the topic in such way that students can relate it to everyday life without losing the essence.

From the Film module, We had super bowl Sunday and Doritos commercial. I found that a 30 sec commercial can be so creative and compelling. It was really a challenge to discuss on Face book the opening scene of the movie The Godfather. I learned that we can put passion in our work and be more focused. So much inspiration we Educators can take from the world of film, T.V and advertisement. I can refer to world famous film editor Walter Murch who does not have windows in his house so that he can have the cinema hall effect 365 days a year. So defiantly dedication and passion is what I can bring to my classroom from the film module.

Imaginative bridges between architecture/interior designing and teaching.

Where I stay currently DUBAI is manmade marvel right from the tallest building on the planet to numerous manmade islands the city has transformed itself from desert town to metropolis and skyline which could only be compared to Manhattan and Shanghai. There are many architectural marvels I have seen in Dubai. What I really liked about the Architecture module is the famous American architect Sharah Susanka said in her NPR interview in which she says that “It is not bricks and mortar that make a home, but how we make that place intimate makes it a home”. Similarly the connecting bridges are not books and white boards which make a classroom. It is the experience, which we educators bring to our students that creates a learning environment.
I like the way Susanka said, “Qualities, not the quantities, of space make a difference.” It is the shaping of space, like tailor-made suits that make it more comfortable. I think an appropriate bridge would tailor made lesson plan and more differential learning.


Imaginative bridges between Music and teaching

About Music module was going on I found out that music is very compelling for students. I can connect my passion for teaching with the work of art and the energy these musicians inject into their songs. The highlight of this module was Robert Kapilow's radio interview and Leonard Bernstein you tube videos. Thanks to professor Wong for making us aware of the hidden treasures and joys that Jazz has to offers. The hook, notes and rhythm in music can also be used by a teacher as a hook could be the pull the teacher uses in a class to attract students towards the topic, notes could be the voice modulation to make the classroom more interesting and rhythm could be the pattern the teacher use while teaching.

Bridges between Fashion and teaching.

Fashion was one of the most outrages and happening module What not to where show was really inspiring and defiantly I found my work on What not to teach very compelling.“If Ideas Were Fashion” by David Wong & Danah Henriksen, opened new doors of imagination for me. Many questions were raised in this article like “students rarely find the experience of school as engaging as fashion”? I am trying to find answers to these questions raised in the article. I could definitely imagine some bridges from fashion to education. Plus what I can understand from this module is that an educator should give his/her old ideas and adapt to the newer and finer way of teaching and think out of the box.

Finally my Work of art project it was fantastic expedition. I took to make my toastmasters’ experience made it more compelling. I rehearsed in for my toastmasters club meeting in front of different people right from my students to senior toastmasters and finally gave a live toastmasters session. I was really appreciated at the end of my toastmasters meeting they found it my speech very compelling.

I felt that Journey of CEP 882 is only over as far as the course is concerned but the knowledge and reflection will be there in my mind for long time and I will definitely make bridges and connect all these above mentioned modules to my everyday teaching thus creating a compelling experience for my students and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment